Newcastle University Canoe Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on!

+2
Tom
Diamond Dave
6 posters

Go down

Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on! Empty Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on!

Post  Diamond Dave Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/si_video/2009/05/13/0905.palouse.SportsIllustrated/index.html
Thats twice in the past 2 months that the wr for the biggest waterfall run has been destroyed.
In April a Brazilian guy paddled a waterfall 127ft, the previous record being I believe about 100ft.
Now Tyler Bradt has nailed this. 186feet.
Thats some balls this guy has got.
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

Back to top Go down

Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on! Empty Re: Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on!

Post  Tom Fri May 15, 2009 12:34 am

im impressed that he's got the same helmet as me"!
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on! Empty Re: Feck Me! Talk about manning up and strapping it on!

Post  Mike Sun May 17, 2009 2:51 pm

That looks like something I could do (maybe upside down).

How much actual paddling skill is required for something like that? Doesn't look to be much recirculating water, so do you just get washed out?

Might practice my hand rolls, and go claim a record myself.
Mike
Mike
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  John Darwin Mon May 18, 2009 10:04 am

i might have a go, Dave can i borrow your paddle?
John Darwin
John Darwin

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Cottle Sun May 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Lets get a club trip set up there, break the freshers in good style... Razz
Nikki Cottle
Nikki Cottle

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamond Dave Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Mike wrote:That looks like something I could do (maybe upside down).

How much actual paddling skill is required for something like that? Doesn't look to be much recirculating water, so do you just get washed out?
Theres actually a fair amount involved.
In the bast month or so he's been first ans second decending 100 footers for practice!
To be able to judge the speed to be paddling when you go off the lip takes alot of skill, as this will affect the angle on the free fall.
The timing of when you tuck up when you're on your way down is also crucial, and for something on that scale needs alot of practice so you can dynamically alter things instead of just bricking it and hoping for the best.
If you are keen to give it a go, i'd recommend ditching Annie, go on a pulling bender and trying to contract as many STIs as you can. Only then will your balls swell to the tremendous size required for something like this...

i might have a go, Dave can i borrow your paddle?
Only If I can shotgun all your stuff when you dont return..
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 pm

He'll want them back in 5 years time!
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down